Each answer should be 2-3 substantial paragraphs in length. Each answer should contain information with citations from the textbook throughout the answer, for example (OpenStax, section 4.2).
1) Civil Rights regulate the way in which the government interacts and treats citizens. There is a long history of gaps in civil rights with regards to race and gender. Specifically, with the history of African Americans, provide 3 stories of how the national government had to expand their view of civil rights in order to include them; from slavery, to citizens, to equal status in America.
2) Describe the journey / plight of women & other groups to gaining more civil rights. What progress has been made politically?
3) This chapter goes into detail about different aspects of public opinion. What are different factors that shape what our opinions are? Then in turn, how does this aspect of public opinion effect elections?
4) Section 6.2 describes how we measure public opinion. Discuss any factor of polling that interests you.
2. From the Human Rights Watch website below, choose any 2 topics of ongoing civil rights issues and discuss your thoughts. If you scroll to the very bottom of the page, there’s a drop down menu where you’re free to look into any of the other 90 countries this organization covers and include that as an option.