Assignment 1: Analysis of the Effects of Population Growth
Imagine you have been hired as a consultant for the United Nations. You have been asked to write an analysis of how global population growth has caused the following problem and how it affects climate change or population growth in a developing country of your choosing:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
A growing global population that consumes natural resources is partially to blame for the release of greenhouse gases since human consumption patterns lead to deforestation, soil erosion, and farming (overturned dirt releases CO2). However, the critical issue is the burning of fossil fuels (hydrocarbons) such as coal, oil, and natural gas to produce energy that is used for things such as electricity production, and vehicle, heating, and cooking fuels.
The UN has asked that you choose a developing country from this list: https://www.mrs.org/developing-countries-list.
The UN has also given you the following guidelines.
The UN has asked that your paper contain three sections. It has asked that each section be one page (or approximately 300 words) in length and answer specific questions, identified in the outline below. The UN also asks that you use examples from your developing country when answering the questions.
Provide an introduction (a half-page minimum) that addresses points- a-e below.
Section I. Background
Section II. How Emissions Cause Problems for the Developing World
Section III. Causes of Greenhouse Gases and Solutions to the Problems Greenhouse Gases Cause
- Provide a conclusion (a half-page minimum) that includes a summary of your findings that the United Nations can use to inform future policy decisions.
- In answering each question, use examples from your developing country to illustrate your points.
- The UN needs facts and objective analysis on which to base future policy decisions; avoid personal opinion and make sure your answers are based on the information you find through research.
- Make sure your paper consists of four to six pages (re: 1,200 words minimum, not including the cover page, reference page, and quoted material [if any]).
- Create headings for each section of your paper as follows:
- Section I. Background
- Section II. How Emissions Cause Problems for the Developing World
- Section III. Causes of Greenhouse Gases and Solutions to the Problems Greenhouse Gases Cause
- Use and cite at least five credible sources in your research. A list of potential resources is available below.
- Make sure your paper contains both in-text citations and a source list, per SWS guidelines: Refer to the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) document for reference.
- Include a cover page with your name, the country you selected, the date you submitted the paper, and your instructor’s name.
- George Gitlitz. June 19, 2018. Opinion: The Pernicious Climate Dictum-Don’t Mention Population https://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/06/19/opinion-the-pernicious-climate-dictum-dont-mention-population
- Gemma Tarlach. July 19, 2018. Mass Extinctions. http://discovermagazine.com/2018/jul-aug/mass-extinctions
- Larry LeDoux. 2018. Does Population Growth Impact Climate Change? https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/population-growth-climate-change/
- Bill McKibben. November 22, 2018. A Very Grim Forecast. https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/11/22/global-warming-very-grim-forecast/
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is as follows:
- Evaluate the impacts of population growth and its negative impacts on global societies while considering multiple perspectives.