argumentative essay 113
For two weeks, you have read, reflected on, and completed discussion postings on writers that hold different ethical positions regarding the killing of animals for food consumption. Peter Singer’s “Equality for Animals?” (Food Matters). Drawing on additional outside sources, write a 4-5 page argumentative essay that weighs in on these writers’ various ethical concerns. What does it mean to eat ethically in terms of the consumption of meat?
Your paper must reference at least one of our course readings from Singer’s “Equality for Animals?,”. In addition, your paper must include at least 2-3 additional outside sources.
Your essay needs to include the following elements:
* an introduction with a clear thesis statement
* body paragraphs with strong topic sentences (please refrain from using quotes as your topic sentences)
* evidence and examples from outside sources such as articles from WLAC’s library research databases (Links to an external site.) or reputable online sources
* a conclusion
* an original title and a list of works cited (your works cited page should not count as part of the 4-5 page paper requirement)
Your paper needs to be submitted in Microsoft Word (doc, docx) and formatted in MLA style (typed, double-spaced, 1-inch margins, 12-point font, Times New Roman).
* As you work on drafting this paper, refer to the information from relevant sections on writing from The Norton Field Guide to Writing (i.e., Arguing, Finding Sources and Evaluating Sources, Beginning and Ending, Guiding Your Reader, etc.)
* As you write and revise, refer to “Questions to Ask Yourself (Paper #2)” to check your work. For a review on how to revise, see “Getting Response and Revising,” Part 4: Processes, The Norton Field Guide to Writing.
* Check out WLAC’s Online Writing Lab (Links to an external site.). You can receive help in prewriting and revising your paper.
Paper Requirements and Content Questions
1. Have I written a 4-5 page argumentative essay responding to the topic prompt?
2. Have I referenced at least one of the course readings from Week 3 or 4 as a source in my paper (Kingsolver’s “You Can’t Run Away on Harvest Day,” Singer’s “Equality for Animals?,” or Harari’s “Industrial Farming Is One of the Worst Crimes in History”)?
3. In addition to the one course reading, have I included at least 2-3 additional outside sources?
4. Does my paper have an introduction and a conclusion (i.e., effective beginning and ending) and body paragraphs (with sufficient evidence and examples)?
5. Have I provided the necessary cues to help guide my readers (i.e., title for my paper, clear thesis statement, strong topic sentences, and appropriate transitions)?
Grammar, Style, Language
1. Do I avoid using slang/colloquial language in my paper? Is there a formal tone to my writing? Do I avoid using the first-person pronoun of “I”?
2. Have I edited my paper and eliminated errors in punctuation, grammar, and mechanics?
1. Is my paper formatted correctly in MLA style (typed, double-spaced, 1-inch margins, 12-point font, Times New Roman)?
2. Are my outside sources cited correctly both in-text and in a list of works cited?
Need your ASSIGNMENT done? Use our paper writing service to score good grades and meet your deadlines.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper