Question 1. Data Analytics
View the following activity to address the discussion scenario.
Consider the scenario above to address the following.
- Do you recommend that the data analyst examine aggregate data, detailed data, or both, to investigate this quality issue? Please explain your rationale.
- Do you recommend that the data analyst use a retrospective data warehouse, clinical data store, or both, to investigate the mortality rate? Please explain your rationale.
- What type of tools or analytic approaches is relevant for use by this analyst? Please explain your rationale.
Now, conduct a search for evidence. Select three scholarly sources of information describing the challenges of utilizing data in the clinical setting.
- Provide a brief overview of the findings of each source of evidence.
McBride, S., & Tietze, M. (2018). Nursing informatics for the advanced practice nurse: Patient safety, quality, outcomes, and interprofessionalism. (2nd ed.). Springer Publishing.
- Chapter 18: Data Management and Analytics: The Foundations for Improvement (p. 425-452)
- Chapter 27: Big Data and Advanced Analytics (p. 653-680)
Delaney, C. W., & Weaver, C. (2018). 2018 nursing knowledge big data science initiative. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 36(10), 473-474. https://doi.org/10.1097/CIN.0000000000000486
Hewner, S., Sullivan, S. S., & Yu, G. (2018). Reducing emergency room visits and in‐hospitalizations by implementing best practice for transitional care using innovative technology and big data. Worldviews on Evidence‐Based Nursing, 15(3), 170-177. https://doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12286
Linnen, D. (2016). The promise of big data: Improving patient safety and nursing practice. Nursing2018, 46(5), 28-34. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NURSE.0000482860.31028.8f