This week you have been introduced to the processes that go into listening, perceiving, and interacting. Now you will analyze listening skills and behaviors by observing a conversation. In this Discussion, you will explore how communication is helpedâ€”or hinderedâ€”by effective or ineffective listening skills.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Read Chapter 4 in the course text, Communication in a Changing World.
- Watch a two-minute face-to-face interaction between two people in which ineffective listening skills are displayed. This conversation must happen in a scripted drama or comedy television show or movie (please donâ€™t use a documentary, talk show, reality show or real-life conversation). Be sure the scene has only 2 people in it and is under 2 minutes.
- Review the document, â€œWeek 4 Discussion Rubric.â€ This will help you make sure you have included all requirements in your discussion assignment. This is what your instructor will use to grade your discussion.
- Review the document, â€œHow to Apply Terms, Module 2.â€
With these thoughts in mind, your assignment is to:
Post by Day 3 a 200- to 300-word discussion. In this post you should:
- Give a brief description of the scene you observed stating who the communicators were, where the conversation was taking place, and what was the subject of the conversation.
- Using Figure 4-2 in chapter 4 of your textbook, identify the steps of the listening process that were present in the conversation. Do this by naming the step, defining it according to the textbook, and giving the specific example of the step you see in the interaction. Remember to also credit your textbook.
- Identify any obstacles of effective listening as described by your textbook in chapter 4. Be sure to define the obstacle and credit your textbook.
Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to the week’s Learning Resources, and something you have read, heard, seen, or experienced.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.