Assignment: Compare and Contrast Paper -10% | Due Sept 10
- Typed (12 point), 1-inch margins, double-spaced, paginated
- 1 page – cover page (full title, writer’s name, course number and name, instructor’s name, and date)
- 1 page with maps
- 5 – 6 pages – essay (excluding cover page, maps and reference page)
- 1 page with references in APA or MLA Style
- Upload an electronic copy on Moodle, your Box folder and hand in a printed copy at the beginning of classCompare and contrast two countries and one of their communication systems (e.g. newspaper, radio, television, film, Internet, mobile media, etc.). The main objective of this assignment is to learn in depth about two countries and one of their communication systems. This assignment should lead you to learn about geography, political system, culture, and communication system of the two countries you select.The Assignment:Select two countries of your preference. These two countries may not share borders or belong to the same world region. In order to learn more and better understand international communication and its global implications it is better to choose countries from different regions, or countries that do not share to many commonalities, however, it is up to you how much you want to learn about the world and open up your own world view and perspectives.
- Provide maps of the two countries.
- Provide relevant contextual information. Describe their regional location and point out if there is any relevance or significance to specific bordering nations. Provide current information of population, official language, internal ethnic diversity, official religion and other religions, levels of education (literacy, basic schooling and higher education). Provide current information on the political make up of the countries of choice. What kind of government is it? What type of economy do they have (regional and extra-regional major trade partners)? How do they relate to the major powers in the world in terms of politics, economics, and whether there is internal or external political struggle?
- Based on the information provided above, discuss the communication system you have selected in terms of any of the elements of the media philosophies, press freedom, media regulation, etc. How have cultural, political and economic characteristics of the countries influenced the selected medium you are comparing across the two countries?
- Discuss the differences and similarities in terms of content, audience, regulation, and the function and role of media in these countries drawing on course concepts. How do your findings relate to International Communication theories and perspectives?
- Provide a minimum of six sources: four must be scholarly work (journal articles, books, book chapters) and two can be Internet based (CIA World Factbook, any other web-based information).
NOTE: All of the above information must be provided in a narrative format where you compare and contrast the two countries of study. Do not merely repeat the facts you find, but reflect on the facts and think critically about the meaning of the information you learn in your writing. Your essay must have an introduction, body and conclusion developed around a central thesis. Use subheadings, where appropriate, to separate different aspects of your paper. Think critically about the domestic and international implications of your findings.
Grading will be primarily based on the quality of research, critical analysis of findings and concepts, and good writing. Please, make sure you apply concepts that you are learning from the readings, class lectures and personal experience.