Read/review the following resources for this activity:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Textbook: Chapter 9, 12 (section: “The Ethics of Duty”)
- Ruggiero, V. R. (2012). Thinking critically about ethical issues (8th ed.). New York: Mc-Graw Hill.
- type in book title, then google books, once you click the link, go the search bar and search the chapters as needed. make sure to use book in paper AND 2 scholarly sources.
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Kantâ€™s famous First Formulation of the Categorical Imperative reads, â€œAct only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law.â€ Kant taught morality as a matter of following maxims of living that reflect absolute laws. â€œUniversalâ€ is a term that allows for no exceptions, and what is universal applies always and everywhere. Lying, for any reason, is universally wrong. Be sure to listen to the audio simulation in this week’s lesson before posting in this discussion.
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, select one of the following scenarios:
- Consider the famous case of the Crazed Murderer. In your town the Crazed Murderer comes to your door looking for your friend and wanting to kill him. You know that your friend went home to hide. What do you tell the murderer? When he leaves and runs up the street to your friendâ€™s house, what do you do?
- Consider the positions for and against stem cell research. If stem cell research can benefit a large segment of the population (from repairing cells to curing diseases), is it our duty to continue with such research even if there is the potential to abuse such technology? If so, what steps should be taken to prevent such abuses. Apply the Three Primary Schools of Ethics to determine if stem cell research should be allowed or prohibited..
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside source)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
- Link (webpage): Discussion Guidelines
Weekly Objectives (WO)
WO3.1, 6.1, 7.3, 7.4