Before writing your position statement on Philosophical and Practical Approach for Balancing Issues, you should read Chapters 1 through11 in your textbook. Then, research at least three (3) peer-reviewed articles about individual rights, morality, ethics, individual rights, duty, or codes of conduct for criminal justice professionals.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Create a philosophy and approach for balancing the issues of individual rights and the public’s protection. Provide one to two (1 to 2) examples illustrating how you will balance the two issues in your own career in law enforcement.
- Determine a philosophy and approach for balancing the use of reward and punishment in criminal justice. Provide one to two (1-2) examples illustrating how you will use this philosophy in your own career.
- Select a philosophy and approach that addresses the use of immoral means (e.g., torture or lying in interrogation) to accomplish desirable ends. Provide one to two (1-2) examples illustrating how you will use this philosophy in your own career.
- Explain what you believe the Ethics of Care and Peacemaking Criminology presented in your textbook should mean for law enforcement professionals.
- Support your position statement with three (3) relevant and credible references, documented according to latest edition of APA. (Note: Do not use open source sites such as Ask.com, eHow.com, Answers.com, and Wi
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the issues pertinent to codes of conduct and / or the ethics of duty.
- Recommend ways to use ethics to improve decision making in the criminal justice system.
- Analyze various philosophical approaches for ethical decision making, and the effectiveness and limits of each approach for making ethical choices.
- Analyze the ethical issues involved with balancing means and ends in the criminal justice field.
- Examine the key elements of virtue and character.
- Examine reasons for and effective ways to apply critical ethical thinking to criminal justice issues.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in ethics and leadership in criminal justice.
- Write clearly and concisely about ethics and leadership in criminal justice using proper writing mechanics.