Hospice Facility Consultant, Essay
You are a consultant in a hospice facility for adult patients with terminal illness. The patients come from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. The administration has two concerns.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
First, there have been many patient complaints filed indicating that the staff is being abusive, both physically and psychologically. It is possible that the staff is being abusive (e.g., pulling them out of bed roughly, causing injury) or that the patients are misinterpreting the staffâ€™s behavior (for example, the patients might suffer from dementia or Alzheimerâ€™s, which may lead them to believe they are not being fed).
Second, the patients have difficulty complying with their medication regime, with some patients seeking alternative methods for treating their illnesses and coping with the dying process.
Based on what you learned in this course, what information should be given to the staff to address both issues? Be sure to specify:
- Ways the staff can ensure that patient care is applied in a consistent and respectful manner. Physical and cognitive abilities/limitations should be described. For example, the patient may have physical impairments that make it difficult for the person to move with ease or to see/hear properly. Cognitive impairments (e.g., dementia) may distort patient perceptions.
- Ways that staff can get compliance from patients to take medications and to show understanding for the patientâ€™s cultural and ethical beliefs, although implementation of some alternative methods can only be allowed if they are not illegal.
- Ways that staff can ease the coping process related to dying and death for the patient and his/her family. In particular, the patient must be informed of choices while in the hospital (for example, a Living Will or a DNR (Links to an external site.)) and for his/her funeral, while helping the family cope with mourning, bereavement, and grief over the loss or probable loss of their kin.
Final Paper Instructions:
- The paper should be based on references to scholarly materials (rather than on introductory textbooks, popular website writings, or musings, for example). To that, your paper should synthesize current, relevant research on your topic from at least three scholarly sources. Cite and reference these sources according to APA style.
- Include an introduction that provides a clear statement of your position on the topic, a body that discusses the implications of possible solutions for the project under consideration, and a conclusion regarding how best to manage the issue (i.e., your informed opinion on the issues raised).
The paper must demonstrate what you have learned about current issues related to human development. Your paper is expected to have depth and offer a thoughtful analysis on the topic.
Your paper should be 7 pages in length and conform to
CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA (Links to an external site.). Include at least three scholarly references. The CSU-Global Library is a good place to find these references.