Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please read Chapter 21 in the textbook as well as Chapter 2: Intrusion Detection and Prevention Principles from the NIST Guide to Intrusion Detection and Prevention System (IDPS) (Links to an external site.).
Intrusion detection systems (IDSs) are network appliances that detect inappropriate, incorrect and disrupting activities on the network. It provides administrators visibility into the network. Traditionally, these devices have been placed between the border router and the firewalls. This architecture has undergone significant changes in recent years because of the changing nature of malware. Organizations are having to deploy multiple IDSs across the network to detect abnormal activities on infrastructure.
Research a minimum of two industry resources (e.g., National Institute for Standards & Technology [NIST], Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers [IEEE], and Internet Engineering Taskforce [IETF], etc.) on this topic. (Access the MISM Credible Resource Guide (Links to an external site.) for assistance with finding appropriate credible professional resources.) Use your findings to differentiate between the different types of intrusion detection systems and explain their uses. Describe optimum locations for IDS on a corporate TCP/IP network and explain how IDSs can be used to complement firewalls.
The Intrusion Detection System paper
- Must be 900-1200 words (three to four double-spaced pages) in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three industry and/or US government sources in addition to the course text.
- Access the MISM Credible Resource Guide (Links to an external site.) for assistance with finding appropriate credible professional resources. You may also see the Ashford Libraryâ€™s Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) for additional information.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.