Midlife Crisis & Thriving Middle Adulthood
UNIT 6- DISCUSSION
After completing the readings in Unit 6 and further researching the topic, post a two-paragraph response to the following:
Is there such a thing as a midlife crisis? Discuss the idea of a midlife crisis in terms of the physical, cognitive, and psychosocial changes in middle adulthood. Also:
- If you believe there is such a thing as a midlife crisis, what developmental changes in middle adulthood might be the cause? Why do some middle-aged people experience it and others do not?
- If you do not believe that a midlife crisis exists, explain why you think this myth perpetuates in our society. What developmental changes (or perhaps stages, i.e. Erikson or Maslow) might be mistaken for a midlife crisis?
Please make sure that your discussion comments abide by the Netiquette policy outlined in the syllabus.
#2- THRIVING MIDDLE AULTHOOD
Your reading describes several transitions and life events that can occur during middle adulthood. While many of those in middle adulthood thrive, that is not always the case, as evidenced by the occurance of midlife crises.
Create a presentation (using PowerPoint, or your favorite slideshow tool) in which you address the following:
- Identify and describe threechallenges typically faced in middle adulthood(make sure to cite sources) – minimum 3 slides
- Identify and describe threerecommendations for how to overcome those challenges (make sure to cite sources) – minimum 3 slides
- Offer twodetailed suggestions for how thrive in middle adulthood (make sure to cite sources) – minimum 2 slides
You must cite your unit reading and/or outside sources to support your statements. I’m not looking for opinions here – you must support your statements and suggestions with cited sources. Include a reference slide at the end, with your references in APA format, and use in-text citations on your slides.
Keep in mind that I’m also not looking for you to copy and paste information from the reading/websites and stick it into your slides. You can use a direct quote if you feel you need to, but it must have quotation marks around it to indicate that it is a direct quote. Everything else will need to be in your own words (paraphrase), followed by an in-text citation to indicate where the information came from. I want to see your writing, not what you’ve copied and pasted from other writers. Read this helpful guide on paraphrasing. At least 80% of your assignment needs to be in your own words.
Make sure that you give each slide a title so it is clear which slides are focused on challenges and which slides are focused on recommendations and suggestions. Be sure to include images or graphics to make your slides visually appealing.