Most modern organizations choose to handle employee disciplinary problems through a fair and equitable approach to the issue. For example, the organization might respond to a first offense with a minimal form of discipline and deal with subsequent offenses with more serious corrective actions. Of course, all of this depends on the severity of the infraction as well as the past history of disciplinary problems of the offender.
For this assignment, consider yourself a supervisor with a security organization faced with resolving the problems listed below. In each of these cases, you are to describe the disciplinary process that you would take with the individual and explain why you chose to handle the specific situation in the manner you selected.
Primary Task Response: write 400â€“600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments.
- It has been reported to you by a manager of your client company that one of your employees has been noted to have been sleeping on the job.
- What would be your response if this employee had previously been reprimanded by the organization?
- While making your rounds, you hear one of your male security employees telling a sexist joke to a female employee of the company.
- What would your response be if this employee had previously been reported for the same type of complaint?
- One of your security employees advises you that he believes that another one of your security employees has been taking merchandise from the organization that hired your security company. This employee has not actually seen the security officer take the merchandise but observed him placing a box in the dumpster and then, after getting off work, backing his truck up to the dumpster and taking what appears to be the same box out of the dumpster, placing it in his vehicle.
- What would your response be with regard to the legal ramifications of this behavior?