- Sally May has opened her own CPA firm and is writing a letter to a prospective client, Jordan Smith, the owner of Jordan’s Interior Design. Having sourced Jordan’s contact details from a vendor, Sally is unsure of Jordan’s gender. How should he address Jordan in his letter?
|B.||To Whom It May Concern|
|C.||Dear Mr. or Ms. Smith|
|D.||Dear Jordan’s Interior Design|
|E.||Dear Jordan Smith|
- Which of the following is a commonly used complimentary close in today’s business letters?
|A.||To Whom It May Concern|
- A health club is offering special rates to all incoming freshman at a local college. The health club’s marketing director will send out a formal communication to all the incoming freshman parents prior to the start of the fall semester. Which form of communication should the marketing director use?
|C.||short message service|
- When using the direct order plan to organize your information in a message, you should _____.
|A.||present information that readers consider routine in the beginning|
|B.||present information that readers consider positive at the end|
|C.||present information that readers consider neutral at the end|
|D.||avoid beginning your message by stating your objective|
|E.||avoid delivering good news at the beginning of the message|
- Susan needs to communicate a denial of warranty work to a customer. Based on her conservations with the customer, Susan feels that the information will evoke a negative response. In this context, which of the following formats should Susan use to organize the information in his message?
- In the context of writing email messages, a formal style of writing _____.
|A.||maintains a shorter distance between writer and reader than an informal style|
|B.||makes extensive use of personal references and contractions|
|C.||uses sentences that are well structured and highly organized|
|D.||uses sentences that are short, unstructured, and incomplete|
|E.||uses mechanical emphasis devices and short sentences|
- Which of the following uses parallel structure?
|A.||Our new paralegal must be smart, efficient, and have flexibility.|
|B.||The accident shattered her pelvis, dislocated her foot, and her spinal column was broken in three places.|
|C.||Big business demands superior forecasting, reporting, and analyzing.|
|D.||A good financial planner must be certified, competent, and must possess ethical standards.|
|E.||Business writing should be concise, informative, and have no mistakes.|
- Which of the following must be avoided when structuring an online document or a Web page?
|A.||Using a dark text on a light background|
|B.||Incorporating text files with audio files|
|C.||Using long sentences instead of short ones|
|D.||Incorporating screen visuals with the text|
|E.||Adapting design elements according to the audience|
- When structuring a formal business letter, the general rule for spacing is:
|A.||Double space in paragraphs and triple space between paragraphs|
|B.||Double space in paragraphs and double space between paragraphs|
|C.||One and half space in paragraphs and double space between paragraphs|
|D.||Single space in paragraphs and double space between paragraphs|
|E.||Single space in paragraphs and one and half space between paragraphs|
- Which of the following is a simple sentence?
|A.||If health insurance costs continue to rise, employee copays may increase.|
|B.||Having healthy employees decreases the cost of monthly premiums; therefore, we will be implementing a wellness program.|
|C.||HMO and PPO insurance plans offer additional cost savings.|
|D.||Because we will be reducing employee health insurance benefits, some employees may be unhappy; however, we must make sure that they understand the reason for the change.|
|E.||Since we were later than we expected to be.|
- What do most writers use as the first sentence in a paragraph?
- Transitional expressions such as next, first, and finally are useful to show
|A.||cause and effect.|
|C.||comparison and contrast.|