PHI Critical Thinking Webtext Chapter 2
1.The article cites sociologist Nancy DiTomasos argument that Discrimination today is less about treating people from other groups badly, and more about giving preferential treatment to people who are part of our in-groups. Provide an example that either supports or refutes this claim.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
2. Give an example where a bias in favor of a particular group could result in poor critical thinking.
3. Give an example of a culture you identify with, and of a habit or belief that you have acquired as a result of that culture.
4. Arziel, an American, holds a stereotype that Islamic countries are violent places. Consequently, she turns down the opportunity to go on vacation to a safe part of Indonesia solely because she reads that Indonesia is a primarily Islamic country, and she assumes that she will be attacked if she travels to the country.
A) Explain how Arziels cultural perspective is affecting her critical thinking in this instance.
5. Has anyone ever made an assumption about you based on a stereotype? If so, explain what happened.
6. In what way might a seemingly positive stereotype about a group of people (e.g. African Americans have great rhythm, or Gay men are well-groomed) have a negative consequence?
7. Adichie summarizes the main argument of her talk by stating, The consequence of the single story is this: it robs people of dignity. It makes our recognition of our equal humanity difficult. It emphasizes how we are different rather than how we are similar.
A) Explain what you think she means by this, and describe whether you agree or disagree and why.
8. Adichie gives a number of examples of times when both herself and people she knows have fallen into the trap of seeing a single story for a group of people. Give an example of a time from your life when you have inadvertently stereotyped a group outside your own.
9. Jonahs thinking was affected by a critical thinking barrier, but that doesnt necessarily mean his decision was a poor one. Explain why.
10. Consider your attitude toward the value of getting a college degree and explain what influences from your culture and background you think led you to that belief.
11. Explain what you believe to be the most compelling premise or reason from the ProCon.org website that supports the conclusion that violent video games do contribute to youth violence and why.
12. Explain what you believe to be the most compelling premise or reason from the ProCon.org website that supports the conclusion that violent video games do not contribute to youth violence and why.
13. Imagine the perspective of a serious gamer who uses video games as a way to relax and bond with friends. How might this person view this issue?
14. Imagine the perspective of the parent of a child who is being bullied by another student who regularly plays violent video games. How might this person view this issue?
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
Webtext was first posted on January 17, 2020 at 3:17 pm.
©2019 "Essay Lords | Bringing Excellence to students world wide". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at support@academicheroes