Week 5: Confucianism: Religion or Social Constructionism?
- Reading for this week is Confucianism: The Way of Propriety pgs. 101-130, Stephen Prothero and pgs. 111-113 Introduction to Confucianism pgs. 119-131 (sections 6-13) Novak.
- Avoid summaries and give me well written persuasive offerings as you have been.
- Refer to the links of writing strong thesis statements. That is still mission one.
- Please underline your thesis statement and provide a word count for your WRs.
Tips on Writing a Persuasive Essay
- Choose a position.
- Express that opinion in a thesis statement.
- Create an outline of your argument.
- You can describe opposing views and then refute with supporting evidence
- Consider various ways to make your argument. (Analogy, Comparisons.)
- Write a 1st draft.
- Get your thoughts down in clear sentences. (Spelling, punctuation, subject/tense
agreement, avoid colloquial expressions)
- Evaluate and perhaps rewrite your thesis statement.
- Write a 2nd draft.
- Revise and reorganize to present your argument in a logical flow.
- READ IT OUT LOUD TO YOURSELF
If you’re stuck on your thesis statement, email me and we will work on it.