One of the most important skills a historian develops is the ability to evaluate historical documents. This evaluation concerns asking questions of the documents that allows a historian to have insight in a particular topic or period being investigated. This weeks documents relate to the weekly module topic. This weeks documents relate to the weekly module topic of culture and cultural interaction. If you still need help prioritizing your questions of the document go to the Document Interpretation Tutorial Page. Use the questions below to learn how to analyze various types of sources and to become an historian yourself.
In this weekly discussion assignment you will need to:
- Choose one of the documents below to read from one of the 2 categories.
- Write a 250-500 word initial post and and present your interpretation of the document and the material you have been introduced to in this modulel
- Category 1: Popular Sovereignty
George Fitzhugh, Slavery Justified
- What does Fitzhugh consider to be the basic failures of the northern states and France?
- According to Fitzhugh, what is the proper status and role of women?
- Give some examples that illustrate why Fitzhugh considers slavery to be superior to free labor.
The Lincoln-Douglas Debates Pick one