Discussion 1: Case Study Analyses
Note: Before completing this Discussion, please familiarize yourself with the Week 2 Discussion 1 Rubric located in the Course Information area of the course navigation menu.
A persons health may be greatly impacted by his or her access to timely, appropriate care. Yet, in the United States, there are marked differences in the quality of services that are available and in each individuals use of those services. The cost of health care, for instance, can influence a persons decision to visit the doctor or fill a prescription. What other factors impact health care-related decisions? In this Discussion, you will examine two case studies that illustrate dilemmas related to cost, quality, and access to health care, and consider the potential influence these dilemmas can have on a persons health, financial standing, and quality of life.
Read the Week 2 Discussion 1 Case Studies document, found in this weeks Learning Resources. Review the information presented in the Learning Resources, including Chapter 12 in the Shi and Singh (2015) textbook and the websites and articles. Analyze the circumstances presented in the two case studies, and consider the following questions:
- Which barriers in the U.S. health care delivery system related to cost, quality, and/or access are evident in each scenario?
- How does the use of health insurance influence concerns or decisions related to cost, quality, and/or access to health care for each person?
- What are the possible health care outcomes in each scenario?
Post by Day 3 a substantive and cohesive response to the following:
- Analyze at least two barriers in the U.S. health care delivery system related to cost, quality, and/or access that are evident in each persons scenario.
- Analyze how health insurance may influence concerns or decisions related to cost, quality, and/or access to health care for each person.
- Explain potential health care outcomes for each scenario.