Write 34 pages describing the effective use of patient-care technologies, communication systems, and information systems across the care continuum of a health care system of your choice. Add a one-page executive summary your organization could use to disseminate these ideas.
Because a lack of knowledge when using technology can lead to errors in patient care, effective use of technology in health care is paramount to providing a safe health care delivery environment.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 3: Explain the use of information management tools and technologies to monitor and improve health care delivery and patient outcomes. ?Describe effective use of technology across the care continuum in a health care setting.
?Describe how to manage change and technology to improve positive outcomes.
?Support description of effective patient care with current nursing and informatics theoretical ideas.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with expectations of a nursing professional. ?Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- How might standardized nursing language (SNL), interprofessional communication, information system support, staff and patient education, organizational culture, and state and national regulations influence technology use? ?What are the complexities in using technology across a continuum of care?
?What are the opportunities?
?What are the barriers?
- How can we manage change and technology use to develop improved patient outcomes?
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Cashin, A., & Cook, R. (Eds.). (2010). Evidence-based practice in nursing informatics: Concepts and applications. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Berner, E. S. (Ed.). (2014). Informatics education in healthcare: Lessons learned. London, UK: Springer.
- Gerrish, K., & Lacey, A. (2013). Research process in nursing (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- McNally Forsyth, D., Wright, T. L., Scherb, C. A., & Gaspar, P. M. (2010). Disseminating evidence-based practice projects: Poster design and evaluation. Clinical Scholars Review, 3(1), 1421.
- Furst, C. M., Finto, D., Malouf-Todaro, N., Moore, C., Orr, D., Santos, J., . . . Hart Tipton, P. (2013). Changing times: Enhancing clinical practice through evolving technology. Medsurg Nursing, 22(2), 131134.
- Gonen, A., Sharon, D., Lev-Ari, L., Strauss, E., & Segev, R. (2015). The impact of nursing students cultural diversity on the intention and attitudes toward the use of information technology. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 19.
- Harper, E. M. (2012). Staffing based on evidence: Can health information technology make it possible? Nursing Economics, 30(5), 262267, 281.
- Nagel, D. A., & Penner, J. L. (2015). Conceptualizing telehealth in nursing practice: Advancing a conceptual model to fill a virtual gap. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 114.
- Sharoff, L. (2015). Holistic nursing in the genetic/genomic era. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 18.
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have been either granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.ihi.org/Pages/default.aspx
- James, G. (2015, February 12). How to write a compelling executive summary. Inc. Retrieved from http://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/how-to-write-a-compelling-executive-summary.html
- The TIGER Initiative. (n.d.). Informatics competencies for every practicing nurse: Recommendations from the TIGER Collaborative. Retrieved from http://www.thetigerinitiative.org/docs/TigerReport_InformaticsCompetencies_001.pdf
- National League for Nursing. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.nln.org/
- California HealthCare Foundation. (2015). Nursing 2.0: Improving care through technology. Retrieved from http://www.chcf.org/publications/2015/06/nursing-through-technology
- Grove, S. K., Gray, J. R., & Burns, N. (2015). Understanding nursing research: Building an evidence-based practice (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
In the role of a nurse leader, describe the effective use of patient-care technologies across the care continuum in a chosen health care system.
Choose any type of health care system, for example, acute, ambulatory, or home health or telehealth.
Submit the following for this assessment:
Technology Across the Care Continuum
Include the following in your 34-page description:
- A brief overview of the care continuum in your selected health care system.
- Describe the types of patient-care technologies and how they are used across the care continuum in your system. Be sure to include communication and information systems.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the systems and describe how to manage change and technology to improve patient outcomes.
- Support your description of effective patient care with current nursing and informatics theoretical ideas.
Based on the description above, add a 1-page executive summary that captures the following points:
- Current state of technology across the care continuum in your system.
- Proposed improvements.
- Risks of making or not making changes or improvements.
- Recommended next steps.
- Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Format resources and citations according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Number of resources: Cite a minimum of four peer-reviewed resources.
- Length: Submit 45 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Use Times New Roman, 12 point.